Friday, June 1, 2012

Oreo Cupcakes

Last week, my family and I went to Orlando, Florida, for a vacation.  When I looked at our calender, I was amazed that we were able to fit this vacation into our TIGHT schedule.  Like in 2 days, we're having a youth pool party at our house, and the whole next week, we have friends coming here driving from Indiana, zoo school (for my little siblings) oh, and possibly composition camp.  Not to mention catching up on our school we missed while we were on our trip.  HOW we do all those things at once, I do not know.  But before we went on our vacation, my mom asked me if I wanted to make anything before the trip to take with us as a light snack.  What she meant by "light"  I have no idea.  But pretty much all I did was make a chocolaty, creamy, (Not to mention fattening, and STUFFED with grease)  and beautiful cupcakes that we're fit for a King.  Or, in my case, a Queen.  I wonder if any royal families even eat cupcakes, because if they do, I'm sure this would be one of their favorites!

Preheat oven to 350.
You can make 2 different kinds, the first one, (which happens to be my favorite)  is just a whole Oreo cookie places in a muffin cup.


The second kind is a crumbled Oreo cookie placed in a muffin cup.  Both ways, though are very satisfying.  Of course, when do you ever eat a cupcake and say,  "Oh, I'm so glad I ate that!!"


Now for the batter, plop in a bowl 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa (and PLEASE, make sure you have cocoa on hand, and don't be like me.  I used Ovaltine instead, which turned out so-so)  1 1/4 cups sugar, 3/4 teaspoon soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.


Whisk to combine.


now add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil,


1 teaspoon vanilla,


3/4 cup hot water,


and 3/4 cup milk.  


Mix to combine.


Pour batter 3/4 of the way in the muffin cups.


Wait a few seconds before popping them in the oven, and let the cookies float to the top.  Bake for 16-18 minutes.  Let cool completely while you make the frosting.....

Frosting:
1 cup shortening
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-6 Tablespoons milk
2 or more teaspoons Oreo cookie crumbs

For the frosting:
  • Beat the shortening in a mixer until smooth.
  • Add vanilla and mix until combined.
  • Add the powdered sugar in three additions, scraping down the sides after each addition.
  • Add a Tablespoon of milk at a time and mix together until you achieve the consistency you like.
  • Add the cookie crumbs and mix until completely combined. You can add more if you like, but I just wanted a light speckling to show off the white frosting.
  • Place frosting in a decorator bag with a 1M tip and swirl on top of each cupcake.
  • Insert a cookie on top of each cupcake.
  • You can also apply frosting on each cupcake in a mounded shape. Turn upside down and roll the top around in a small bowl of cookie crumbs to coat.



Ohhhh  maawww gosh.  I've been caring these for like, forever, and when I finally made these.....  They were more than I ever hoped for!! 

Enjoy!!

THIS RECIPE IS FROM BAKERELLA.



No comments: