Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blueberry Bread French Toast

Ridiculously......



Tasty.  That's what this is.  Ridiculously. Tasty.  I got this idea from Jessica who got the idea from Food Network.  I fell in love with the idea and just HAD to make it with blueberry bread.  While I was baking it, everybody was saying, "Smells good!!  What is it?"  or, "Somthin' is in that oven!!"  I was SO afraid they would cut pieces oddly and make it so I'd never be able to make french toast but, amazingly, when I woke up the next morning, it was untouched.  UNTOUCHED.  This is a giant step for my family.  Like when Faith said she wanted some banana bread that I baked the other day and she wanted ME to cut it.  I had my puppy asleep in my lap, so I didn't want to get up.  And I wanted to make french toast out of the left over (I NEVER have left overs!!  Another big step!)  banana bread, so I said, "Faith, just cut it yourself but---"  I stopped when I heard *CHOP* and her say "Never mind"
"DID YOU CUT IT LIKE A LOAF??!!"  I said.
"Uhhh....  No."  I shot up to see the banana bread cut on the BACK CORNER.  I sat back down with a sigh and told myself that I'd just try it another time.  And, so I did.  With amazing results.  Go try it!  Easy and tasty.  That's my role.

3 tablespoons water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour  (I used all all-purpose)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup grape seed oil, or other oil (I used vegetable)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (if using frozen, do not defrost)



Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.


In another bowl, mix together yogurt and syrup,


oil and vanilla.


I know I'm blurry,  sorry.  My picture taker says it's hard to take pictures with one hand

Add to the flour mixture and be careful to not over mix.


Add blueberries and gently mix again.  Pour into a loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.



3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
butter for the pan
2 Tbs.  sugar
Slice banana bread to desired thickness. In a bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, cream, sugar and cinnamon, whisking until combined. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and brush with butter.  Dip each slice into the egg mixture for about 30 seconds to coat completely, then place on the buttered surface. Cook until golden and somewhat crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with sliced bananas, fresh whipped cream, syrup and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. For a drizzly chocolate, combine 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil in the microwave for about 45 seconds, mixing once during cooking time, until melty.



I mixed the french toast mix in a loaf pan.  Makes it easier to coat the bread in the stuff.


Slice the bread as thick as you like.  Mine are around the larger side.  

Ahhh....  Syrup.  Want some sugar with that sugar?


Oh WOW.  Please check out this girls blog!

Enjoy!

No comments: