Monday, February 6, 2012

Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting

This has the best recipe for frosting I've ever made.  EVER.  It's seems so thick at first, but OH GOODNESS!!  I won't lie to you, I licked the bowl clean.  I wiped my pastry bag clear again.  I scraped it off the beater so that I almost put it up again.  Great mother of diabetes, this recipe is good!



First, plop in 2 cups cake flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon soda, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.


Then, cream together 1/2 cup (softened) butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar on high speed.  Eventually add 2 egg yolks, (reserve egg whites!!)


1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup buttermilk.  Cream it all together until mixed.


Like this!  Transfer to another bowl and wash mixer bowl.


Beat the remaining egg whites plus 1 egg white with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.  Fold it in the batter til' it gets nice and fluffy.


Once you do that, spoon the batter into muffin tins, and bake at 350 for 23 minutes.


While there baking, let's look at the cutest thing in the world.  Aww!



Mmmmm.



Now let's make the ganache filling:
Fist you'll need 3/4 of a cup cream.


Some glories fat-free heavy cream.


*Pt!*  In your dreams!  After that, melt 1/4 cup butter with it, take it off the heat and and mix in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.   You'll need to let it sit for a while until it gets nice and thick.  You might even have to put it in the fridge for a bit!


Sorry I don't have pictures of  me making the frosting, I was kinda in a hurry.

First, beet 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup cocoa, 1/3 cup whipping cream, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Please don't try a lick at this point.  Even if it looks very delectable, guess what, it's NOT.  Add 2 cups powdered sugar to the bowl.  Oh sorry, 4 CUPS powdered sugar.  Whip for 5 minutes.  It will look very dry and thick, but actually it's very moist but yes, very thick.  Put only little bits of frosting into your pastry bag at a time, because if you put the WHOLE thing of frosting in it at 1 time, it will poke holes in your pastry bag, I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE.

To assemble:

Fit pastry bag with a filling tip.  pipe ganache into cupcakes.  Then, squeeze frosting with a star tip.  You can pipe ALLOT  more frosting than I did, because the recipe above makes ALLOT of frosting.  See?




Enjoy!

1 comment:

Olivia Schrock said...

MMMMMMMMM rose yum! they look delicious! your really creative! and so is my mom she wanted to use up the hot dogs that were about to go bad.... so she fried them and put steak seasoning on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they were actually pretty good....... p.s. this is olivia my username is olive123